Slip-And-Fall Attorneys In Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Attorney Theodore H. Enfield provides experienced legal counsel, practicing since 1978. He has spent all of that time honing his skills in civil litigation and has successfully helped thousands of clients.

Attorney Andrew C. Enfield practices in civil litigation also, dividing his time among various areas of tort law. He is dedicated to helping clients in their personal injury cases, including auto accidents, slips and falls and workers’ compensation claims.

At the Theodore H. Enfield P.A, our attorneys understand the difficulties presented by slip-and-fall lawsuits and have the resources needed to address these issues appropriately. Our ability to prove liability in slip-and-fall cases has led to many successful settlements and verdicts.


Under the Florida premises liability law, property owners must maintain their property in a way that is reasonably safe and free of hazards or dangers for those who visit. This means that, if the property owner or manager knows — or should have known — about a potentially unsafe situation, they must take quick action to correct it.

If the owner or manager is unable to correct the problem reasonably quickly, he must do something to bring it to the attention of any visitors who might injure themselves. For example, he could rope the area off or place prominent signage in such a way that you can avoid the danger. If he failed to meet these standards, and someone gets hurt as a result, he may be liable for those injuries.

Some of the most common scenarios that lead to slip-and-fall accidents are:

  • Uneven walking surfaces, such as a broken sidewalk
  • Unmarked obstacles, such as a step, curb or extension cord, wet or slippery surfaces, such as a spill or water leak
  • Improperly maintained property, such as potholes in a parking lot
  • Steps or stairs without handrails

Although these are some of the most common situations that can lead to slips and falls, almost any hazardous condition can cause an accident of this nature. Victims may suffer broken bones, dislocated joints, traumatic brain injury or neck, back or spinal cord injury.

Your liable party is whoever was in charge of maintaining the property. In most cases, this will be the property owner or manager.

What To Do If You’ve Been Injured

If you slip and fall in a public place, you should seek immediate medical attention. Injuries sustained in this way may not be obvious immediately. Alert the property owner or manager about the incident and request their name and contact information.

Talk to any witnesses that may have been present, make note of their names and contact information and ask if they have any photos or videos of the incident. If possible, get pictures of the hazard that caused your injury and of the injury itself.

As soon as possible, contact a personal injury lawyer to assist you in requesting compensation for your injuries. Because businesses and insurance companies believe that many slip-and-fall claims are false or exaggerated, they will often try to discourage you by refusing to negotiate a settlement. Having a lawyer to assist you can help demonstrate the sincerity of your claim.

Your attorney will also be better equipped to obtain important evidence for your case, such as video surveillance footage, employee statements, maintenance records or existing company safety policies.

If you or someone you love has suffered an injury in a slip-and-fall accident, you need someone on your side who sympathizes with you and will fight for you. For the experience you need, call the Theodore H. Enfield P.A. at (954)-983-1443 for a free consultation.