Everyone fears the slip, trip and fall accident. In many instances, it’s simply the result of being distracted or due to circumstances beyond anyone’s control. However, in a great many cases the accident could have been avoided if home or business owners had taken simple precautions.
The law mandates that homes, businesses, walkways, and parking lots be maintained in a manner that allows visitors and customers to navigate them safely. It’s called premises liability and coverage is provided under home and business insurance policies. When accidents occur due to negligence on the part of the property’s owner, individuals may be entitled to compensation for lost work time, associated medical costs, and even pain and suffering in some instances.
For those that have been injured in a trip and fall accident, there are a number of steps an individual must take. They include:
- Immediately seek medical attention
- Report the accident immediately to the homeowner, store manager or landlord
- Make sure the person receiving the account makes a written report and that the injured party receives a copy at that time
- Get the names, addresses and phone numbers of any potential witnesses
- Take photos of the exact location, noting any circumstances such as standing water, broken concrete, or damaged stairs
- Preserve the clothes worn at the time as they could potentially be evidence later on
- Don’t respond to communications from the property owner or their insurance company
- Never cash or deposit a check from an insurance company before speaking with an attorney
- Refrain from posting on social media about the accident
- See an attorney specializing in laws pertaining to slip, trip and fall accidents
If the injured party and their attorney determine that there’s a legitimate case against the property owner, the lawyer will take care of all the details ranging from contacting witnesses to gathering medical documentation. Attorneys have access to specialists in multiple fields that the average person doesn’t and will work closely with clients to obtain the benefits they deserve.
Law Offices of Theodore H. Enfield, P.A.
Whether you need a Divorce, are dealing with Custody or Child Support issues, or need representation in a Personal Injury matter, the Law Offices of Theodore H. Enfield can confidently assist you. To learn more about how we can help you or to discuss the facts of your case with our attorneys, call 954-983-1443 to schedule your free consultation.
3107 Stirling Road
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312
Email: [email protected]